A Quick Substitute for a Letter to the Editor

So, I guess I'm just lazy (otherwise, I would just write this post as a letter to the Editor of the New York Times Circuits section, but instead I'll just throw it up, because, hey, 6 months later, it seems like time to post again.

I was reading the NY Times Circuits section today (one of my weekly time-killers; I have rilina to thank for this addiction, as she was the one who hooked me on David Pogue) and stumbled across a story about satellite and cable television providers fighting over condo association subscribers. In any case, apparently this squabble has heated up recently because the consensus is that:

"Everyone who is going to pay for TV already pays for it," said Todd Mitchell, an industry analyst at Kaufman Brothers Equity Research. "The only people without it are Luddites and people too old to appreciate it."

What the!? The only people without either cable or satellite are Luddites and old folks… Well, which am I?

I'm not yet 30 years old, so I don't think I'm too old to appreciate this technology…

And I am certainly not a Luddite. My computer is nearly surgically attached to my person; the fact that I religiously read every NYTimes story in either the Technology or Circuits section probably disqualifies me from the Luddite category. In fact, I'd probably say that my obsession with new technology (i.e. the internet and associated entertainment technologies) is one thing that has helped keep me from missing a real TV presence in my house. (My wife and I have a TV that is mostly used for watching DVDs (ok, and playing the GameCube) and an old-fashioned set of "bunny-ears" that faithfully bring in any show available, as long as it's on ABC.) And I don't think I'm alone. In fact, if I weren't so lazy, I could link to an article I read in the last few months that talked about how the rise in the numbers of hours Americans spend on the internet is cutting into the number of hours we watch TV.

Anyway, that just really irritated me and I had a couple minutes in the library to rant; that felt good. Maybe I'll post something substantive soon…